Monday, May 20, 2013

bluenose marathon 10k

on sunday I ran the 10k portion of the bluenose marathon. correction - I walked the 10k.
was supposed to run it, was prepared to run it, intended to run it and.......didn't.

something happened at the start of the race that dictated how this was going to go and I couldn't argue with it. so a 10k walk it was.
sucks. I wanted to see if I could better my time from last summers navy 10k. now I will have to wait until august to see if I can beat last years timing.
I did manage to come in under 2 hours so win win in that respect I guess.

the weather was good, 0 degrees is a good run/walk temp.

as I was crossing the bridge on the way back, with about 2k left to go, I got what I thought was a rock in my runner. I kept going.
by this time I crossed the finish line I could barely walk. I got water, a medal and then into the metro centre to find a washroom.
the line up was long, it stank and there were only two stalls. seriously? all that space, all that capacity for people and you put two units into a washroom. I don't know how many washrooms the place has but you planned them badly.
I was pissed. yes, pardon the pun.

finally I got to take my runner off. it wasn't a stone. it was my orthotic.
they charge a fortune for them and then make them out of cheap crap that falls apart.
the bottom layer of the thing had come unglued and was folded back just behind my toes. so I had a slight ridge across the pad of my foot.
it wasn't noticeable when I walked but it was when I tried to run. and why run when I couldn't?
because I had been passed by nearly everyone who was running the thing and when an old man, who was overweight and stooped over, passed me I had enough. I ran for a while to get past some of the people and the pain in my foot got worst. I finished it walking.

I was passed by, fat people, senior citizens, fat senior citizens, fat senior citizens using poles and fat people who looked like they still had the sofa attached to their asses.
my cardio - it sucks.

after I got through the metro centers stinky ass washroom I sat down to inspect my foot. found what the problem was and a shiny new blister. I got out of there and hobbled down the hill to barrington street on seriously painful legs, waited about 40 minutes for a cab and went home.
first order of business was to break the blister and get rid of it cause by this time I could barely walk.

that bent back layer of the orthotic was enough to throw my gait off and so not only did I get a blister I got a lot of pain that radiated all the way up my left leg and into the hip area.

it was not a good time.

so in the end I paid $75 for a blister and a shiny object. they gave medals out to anyone who participated.

why did I do it??? because sailors love shiny trinkets.



1 comment: